Laser Metrology and Biomedicine Lab
Welcome to the Laser Metrology and Biomedicine (LAMB) Lab at The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK). LAMB@CUHK, directed by Prof. Renjie Zhou, works on advancing optical imaging techniques for solving complex material metrology and biomedical problems to improve human life. Our current research projects include: (1) Developing advanced optical diffraction tomography techniques; (2) Building novel high sensitivity interferometric microscopy systems; (3) Integrate state-of-the-art machine learning techniques with our lab developed imaging instruments. As a growing lab, LAMB has multiple openings for interested candidates to apply (click here for more information).
- We have multiple openings at different levels (postdoc, graduate student, research assistant, intern, etc) starting immediately. Check here for more information. Interested candidates should contact Prof. Zhou with most updated resume/CV.
- The LAMB lab attended SPIE Photonics West and former lab researcher Cheng Zheng and Prof. Zhou gave talks at the conference. February 10, 2019.
- Invited by Prof. Zhou, Prof. Rongguang Liang from the College of Optical Sciences at the University of Arizona, visited our lab on January 10. Prof. Liang delivered a departmental talk on Snapshot Polarization and Phase Microscope for Biomedical Applications. January 10, 2019.
- Prof. Ruobing Zhang from Suzhou Institute of Biomedical Engineering and Technology (SIBET) at the Chinese Academy of Sciences (CAS) visited our lab from December 7-8. Prof. Zhang delivered a talk on brain connectomics using electron microscopy and optical microscopy. December 8, 2018.
- Our Lab attended CHINA HI-TECH FAIR (CHTF), Shenzhen - China’s No.1 Technology Show. Check out our lab press release here.
- Our collaborative work with Connecticut Children's Medical Center, Johns Hopkins University, and Stanford University on "Integration of Diffraction Phase Microscopy and Raman Imaging for Label-free Morpho-molecular Assessment of Live Cells" has been accepted for publishing in Journal of Biophotonics. November 11, 2018.
- Welcome new LAMBers, Shiyuan, Haiyin, and Hon Son. September 29, 2018.
- Prof. Zhou gave an invited talk on Recent Technology Development in Optical Diffraction Tomography for 3D Cell Imaging at CLEO Pacific Rim Conference. August 2, 2018
- Prof. Xu Liu of Zhejiang University and Prof. Zhou co-chaired a workshop on Optical Microscopy and Super-resolution Imaging at CLEO Pacific Rim Conference. The workshop featured world-leading experts in optical imaging and was well attended. July 30, 2018
- Prof. Gabriel Popescu from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign gave a BME Departmental seminar on Label-free imaging of thick specimens using gradient light interference microscopy. July 27, 2018
- Mr. Baoliang Ge from the Spectroscopy Lab at MIT visited us and giving us a BME Departmental seminar on Single-shot Quantitative Polarization Interference Microscopy for Material Metrology and Biological Imaging. July 20, 2018
- Welcome Cheng Zheng, Chengfeng Zhang, and Yuchen Chen from Zhejiang University joining our lab. Cheng will be here as a Research Assistant while Yuchen and Chengfeng will be exchange students during the summer. July 16, 2018
- New paper publication on "Single‐Shot Optical Anisotropy Imaging with Quantitative Polarization Interference Microscopy" in Lasers & Photonics Reviews. June 11, 2018
- The LAMB lab is participating in HKTDC International ITC Expo from April 13-16 at Hong Kong Convention and Exhibition Centre. We are showcasing our portable quantitative phase microscope and demonstrating real-time imaging to our audience. Check out our lab press release here.
- We welcome Yao Yao from HUST joining our lab as a visiting student. March 30, 2018
- Welcome the third LAMBer, Yanping He, on board. March 19, 2018
- New paper on "Dynamic spatial filtering using a digital micromirror device for high-speed optical diffraction tomography" has been published in Optics Express. January 4, 2018
- The 18th IEEE Photonics Society Hong Kong Chapter Postgraduate Conference was successfully held on December 15, 2017 at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. December 17, 2017
- Welcome the second LAMBer, Gang Luo, on board. November 8, 2017
- We were glad to have Prof. Janusz M. Smulko from Gdańsk University of Technology in Poland visiting us and giving us a BME Departmental seminar on Improving Sensitivity for Resistive Gas Sensors and Raman Spectroscopy. It was interesting to learn that Fahrenheit was born in Gdańsk. October 26, 2017
- Welcome the first LAMBer, Mengxuan Niu, on board. October 18, 2017
- Prof. Zhou gave a talk on Recent Development of High-speed Label-free Quantitative Optical Tomography for Cell Imaging for the Biomaterial Group at CUHK. September 22, 2017
- We officially celebrated the establishment of our Biomedical Engineering Department, the first among all tertiary institutions in Hong Kong; check local news coverage. Although joined CUHK very recently, Prof. Zhou is fortunate to be one of the seven founding faculty members of CUHK BME Department which was officially started on July 1, 2017. September 20, 2017
- Prof. Zhou gave a talk on Optical Diffraction Tomography at Hong Kong Eye Hospital. August 24, 2017
- Prof. Zhou received the Kaufman Teaching Certificate (KTCP) from MIT for his participation in this teaching program during the past spring (completed 6 class sessions and 2 micro-teachings). July 21,2017
- The Laser Metrology and Biomedicine (LAMB) Lab has been formed. July 1, 2017
- Our review paper on "Tomographic phase microscopy: principles and applications in bioimaging [Invited]" in JOSA B was again the second most downloaded paper in JOSA B in May 2017. June 17, 2017
- Our review paper on "Tomographic phase microscopy: principles and applications in bioimaging [Invited]" in JOSA B was the second most downloaded paper in JOSA B in April 2017. May 24, 2017
- Dr. Renjie Zhou joined The Chinese University of Hong Kong as an Assistant Professor, following his postdoctoral training at the G. R. Harrison Spectroscopy Lab at MIT. May 15, 2017
Click here for our lab press releases